New Year Resolution
New Year Resolutions
It’s that time of year when we look back at what we have accomplished and endured, and what we look forward to in the coming year. 2020 has been full of life-altering changes for most of us. We have had to be more flexible in our day-to-day lives and how we see our future. One of the things that did not change is our need to look forward to and imagine the future. That’s why we make New Year Resolutions.
New Year resolutions give us a blueprint on goals and how those they will impact us. People generally plan to lose weight, learn a new skill, spend more time with family and friends, and become more of the person they imagine. Because of the pandemic, we must be purposeful in our list to continue to practice the protocol of wearing masks and social distancing.
Unfortunately, for most of us, our track record in keeping our resolutions is not good; in fact, many people usually break them before the end of January. In my experience, I have found that goals, aspirations, resolutions, etc must be realistic and sustainable. It should be easy to incorporate into your daily life. Below are the two simple resolutions you can pick. Each resolution has a few tips on each that will make it easier to keep in 2021.
Resolutions for 2021
- Getting into shape. In the past, we would sign up for the fitness club specials. You can start this goal for free or at a low cost doing the following:
- Talking a daily walk. Walking is free and right outside of your front door. You can choose the day/time and for how long. All you need is approval from your doctor, a good pair of shoes, and comfortable clothes.
- Create a home gym. A home gym doesn’t have to include heavy weights or machines. You can use stretch cords and resistance bands for a small price at sporting goods and discount stores. They come with instructions and, you can also research online videos.
- Search for videos online for the exercise you want to do. They can range from 20-60 minutes, depending upon your fitness level.
- Join an online group. There are many groups that you can find online to help you meet your fitness goal. You will not only get in shape, but you will make new friends.
- Yoga/Meditation. Some instructors have taken their skills online and are only a few clicks away.
- Spending more time with family. One thing that many of us have done in 2020 is spent more time at home. In the coming year, we can continue to make this an essential component of our daily lives. It helps with keeping good mental health.
- Learn a new skill. There is a lot of information online to help in increasing your knowledge in any area of interest. From quilting, writing and publishing a book, music lessons, and so much more.
- Connecting with others. You can look for a group on Facebook or join your local NextDoor community.
Making resolutions doesn’t have to be a daunting task.
Now get out there and have a great 2021! It’s up to you!